Sunday, April 27, 2015
You have to take my word for it, as there is no pictorial evidence for the 27 km or so bike ride we did today. Such a treat to meet friends at Urban Fare and have lunch.
Author Shaun Actor has these tips for happiness which were share on the CBC website:
- Gratitude Exercises. Write down three things you're grateful for that occurred over the last 24 hours. They don't have to be profound. It could be a really good cup of coffee or the warmth of a sunny day.
- The Doubler. Take one positive experience from the past 24 hours and spend two minutes writing down every detail about that experience. As you remember it, your brain labels it as meaningful and deepens the imprint.
- The Fun Fifteen. Do 15 minutes of a fun cardio activity, like gardening or walking the dog, every day. The effects of daily cardio can be as effective as taking an antidepressant.
- Meditation. Every day take two minutes to stop whatever you're doing and concentrate on breathing. Even a short mindful break can result in a calmer, happier you.
- Conscious act of kindness. At the start of every day, send a short email or text praising someone you know. Our brains become addicted to feeling good by making others feel good.
- Deepen Social Connections. Spend time with family and friends. Our social connections are one of the best predictors for success and health, and even life expectancy.
Monday, April 28, 2015
WRT hike and my radio conks out on me, but happiness thing #1 I'm grateful for today is that because of it, I got to hear these deer walking beside me.
Happiness thing #2 today is that I have a beautifully reliable car. Unhappily, this is an eyesore on my WRT hike. Wish I could drag it out myself.
Happiness thing #3 today is that lilacs bloom in April here in the Okanagan, and not late May or June in all the other places I've lived in Canada.