- See more at: https://www.healthyfamiliesbc.ca/home/blog/health-benefits-hiking#sthash.VWBuJx0t.dpuf
Did you know that a good number of British Columbians are still not active enough to receive health benefits?
This concerns me and drives my passion for health promotion through physical activity because inactivity is associated with a variety of health issues. Some of these issues include but aren't limited to: cardiovascular disease, osteoporosis, coronary heart disease, obesity, diabetes, and certain types of cancer.
Regardless of the health issues associated with inactivity, the good news is that evidence shows physical activity helps prevent chronic disease, premature death, and improves health as well as quality of life. One great way to improve your health and to reduce chances of developing health concerns is to get outside and TAKE A HIKE!
Warning: Scheduling time into your weekend to go for a hike/walk in the woods with friends and family may lead to:
- Lower stress levels, improved mood, and enhanced mental wellbeing
- A reduced risk for heart disease
- Lower blood pressure
- Lower cholesterol levels
- Improved control over healthy weight
- Lower body fat
- Improved bone density
- Improved osteoarthritis outcomes
- Increases in flexibility and coordination
- A better quality of life
- Enhanced relationships with friends and family
If you're looking for trails in your area www.walkbc.ca is the perfect resource!